Chruch - Saint Basil’s Cathedral, Moscow, Russia

Saint Basil’s Cathedral, Moscow, Russia   Facebook share

 The Cathedral of Vasily the Blessed , commonly known as Saint Basil's Cathedral, is a church in Red Square in Moscow, Russia. The building, now a museum, is officially known as the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos on the Moat  or Pokrovsky Cathedral.  It was built from 1555–61 on orders from Ivan the Terrible and commemorates the capture of Kazan and Astrakhan. A world famous landmark  it was the city's tallest building until the completion of the Ivan the Great Bell Tower in 1600. 

 
The original building, known as Trinity Church and later Trinity Cathedral, contained eight side churches arranged around the ninth, central church of Intercession; the tenth church was erected in 1588 over the grave of venerated local saint Vasily (Basil). In the 16th and 17th centuries the church, perceived as the earthly symbol of the Heavenly City, as happens to all churches in Byzantine Christianity, was popularly known as the "Jerusalem" and served as an allegory of the Jerusalem Temple in the annual Palm Sunday parade attended by the Patriarch of Moscow and the tsar. 
 
The building is shaped as a flame of a bonfire rising into the sky, a design that has no analogues in Russian architecture. Dmitry Shvidkovsky, in his book Russian Architecture and the West, states that "it is like no other Russian building. Nothing similar can be found in the entire millennium of Byzantine tradition from the fifth to fifteenth century ... a strangeness that astonishes by its unexpectedness, complexity and dazzling interleaving of the manifold details of its design."  The cathedral foreshadowed the climax of Russian national architecture in the 17th century. 
 
As part of the program of state atheism, the church was confiscated from the Russian Orthodox community as part of the Soviet Union's anti-theist campaigns and has operated as a division of the State Historical Museum since 1928. It was completely and forcefully secularized in 1929  and remains a federal property of the Russian Federation. The church has been part of the Moscow Kremlin and Red Square UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1990. It is often mislabelled as the Kremlin owing to its location on Red Square in immediate proximity of the Kremlin.[16]


More Suggestion :
st_anthony03.jpg

Monastery of Saint Anthony,Egypt

 The Monastery of Saint Anthony is a Coptic Orthodox monastery standing in an oasis in the ...

ExtBuilding_04.jpg

Lakewood Church,Houston, Texas

 Lakewood Church is a nondenominational charismatic Christian megachurch located in Houston...

16550-3.jpg

San Nazaro Brolo,Milan,Milan

 The basilica of San Nazaro in Brolo or San Nazaro Maggiore is a church in Milan, northern ...

germany-ulm-minster.jpg

Ulm Minster, Ulm, Germany

 Ulm Minster (German: Ulmer Münster, literally: minster) is a Lutheran church and form...

church_of_nativity.jpg

Church of the Nativity, Bethlehem, Palestinian territories

  The Church of the Nativity is a basilica located in Bethlehem, Palestine. The church was ...


Loading comments....

Login


Or sign in using your email address.
 *  *
Login   Register
Join Today

Google+

Or sign up using your email address.
 *  *  *    *
Create Account   Login
Join and get rewarded
Like & Share our facebook page & Register here and win chance of winning exciting prizes.
Click here to go to Facebook Page Close